Steering wheel mounted controls: under-ring or over-ring accelerators
Rica is grateful to Motability for permission to use the video below.
Steering wheel mounted controls
- are electronic control rings mounted over or under the steering wheel
- you squeeze the ring to accelerate - either pushing it or pulling it towards the steering wheel
- are usually used with a steering column mounted brake
- as they're electronic, don't need mechanical linkages giving you smoother control
- are good for people who need the stability of keeping both hands on the steering wheel at all times
- tend not to interfere with the other controls
- 'are less obvious and take some of the stigma attached to driving with hand controls'
Companies supplying steering wheel mounted controls
Prices shown were from the time of our research.
For current prices, find car adaptation suppliers and fitters here.
|Elap||Kivi K5 Under-ring accelerator||n/a|
|Kivi K0 Over-ring accelerator||n/a|
|Over-ring electronic accelerator||from £1,825|
|Under-ring electronic accelerator||from £1,825|
|'The Ghost' rotary under-ring control||from £1,925|
Technology to make driving easier for everyone is increasingly available in cars. See our report:
In -car safety technology: What’s useful for older and disabled drivers and available on popular models?
Last updated: June 2012